Bio-security is a shared responsibility

Our Great Southern Land.

Australia is very unique in the fact that it is one of the very few countries that remains free from the world’s most severe pests and diseases.

Our island nation is blessed by its geographical location.

While not so long ago we seemed so very far from other counties, the barriers of distance are becoming less as technology and travel become more and more advanced.

Time and distance are less relevant.

This proximity to the rest of the world can have its disadvantages.

Our coastline has more than 60,000 kilometres, providing gateways for exotic pests and diseases.

The Department of Agriculture and Water Resources protects us in multiple ways.

Through the use of x-ray machines, surveillance and the ever so cute but extremely accurate and serious detection dogs, mail, ships, baggage and shipping containers are screened, inspected and cleared every minute, every hour and every day.

Surveillance and monitoring of areas of risk is all part of border control at all of Australia’s seaports, airports and both national and international mail centres.

Biosecurity protects, controls and minimises the risk of diseases entering our country. Biosecurity not only protects our irreplaceable environment and our tourism industry but also our native flora and fauna and our unique lifestyle.

Biosecurity is everything for our country.

Without it Australia would be a very different place.

The Students view their thoughts……..

Reflections and ideas about what we think Biosecurity is…….

Shae- Anne:

Biosecurity affects all of us. It ensures pests and diseases do not enter the country, or a region, or a farm. Without biosecurity, our country would be a very different place. Production levels for plants and animals would reduce without biosecurity, as pests and diseases would damage many products.

Jaymee-Lee:

Biosecurity is extremely important for keeping our country the beautiful place it is. Without biosecurity, Australia would be extremely vulnerable towards pests and diseases such as rabies or foot and mouth.

Jess:

I think that Biosecurity is very important in Australia. This is because without biosecurity Australia would be full of pests and unwanted diseases. Australia is a clean country and that is how we want to keep it. If we did not have biosecurity, Australia would end up with many unwanted diseases which would affect our farming industries.

Maddie:

I feel as though Biosecurity is a very important aspect of agriculture and especially farming. It’s significant because it protects our stock and produce from foreign pests and diseases that could potentially harm us or our produce.

Josiah:

Biosecurity is a very effective way of keeping your crops at the top level of health and quality. I believe that we should have more frequent checks on crops to be able to save crops from dying.

Seth:

Cars are a biosecurity hazard because they can take diseases, pests and weeds into the property.

Ben:

Trucks and cars are a biosecurity hazard. They are a hazard because they can unknowingly transport weeds and pests on their wheels.

Student’s reflections on how they can be part of the solution…..

Shae-Anne:

We can all help our country stay bio secure by obeying all rules set on farms and when travelling from place to place. Australia will not stay free from many different pests and diseases if we bring food and certain products to this country from overseas. We can also ensure the safety of plants and animals by making sure out boots and vehicles are free from dirt before entering a new farm, as you could be carrying a pest or disease from a different farm. By doing these few simple things, we can keep pests and diseases from spreading and contaminating our wonderful country.

Maddie:

We can all be part of biosecurity in many ways. We can spread awareness about it and we can also help put precautionary practices toward the act when entering others farms or agricultural units.

Jess:

We all can help with biosecurity by when you go travelling you don’t bring back pests and food that may have diseases in it. We can all make a change.

Demi:

My role on biosecurity would be making awareness and teaching others about its impact and how much we really need it.

Jaymee-Lee:

One way to be part of the solution is to always respect rules in places such as airports and farms etc. to make sure there is no cross-contamination.

Seth:

I will check my vehicle any time that I go on to a farm or a property. I will wash my car or vehicle regularly.

Ben:

I can be part of the solution by checking the engine bay for pests and weeds. You could also wash your vehicles between visits.

Please click on the link below to read Molly’s power point 🙂

Molly Shambrook Bio-Security-2hbemeg 

Please click on the link below to read Talara’s power point 🙂

Talara Lahrs Biosecurity-18r3pvy